Resolving Your Concerns

Concerns and Complaints

At CCAS, we are committed to offering the best possible services to the children, youth and families we serve. If you have a concern about the services you have sought or received from CCAS, we want to work with you to resolve it. We encourage you to work with your service worker to resolve concerns at an early stage. If this process has been unsuccessful for you, the following procedure is available:

Informal Resolution Processes

  • Speak with your Worker's Supervisor 
    If you are unable to resolve your concern with your worker, we recommend you discuss the issue with your worker’s supervisor, either over the telepone, in a virtual meeting or in person where possible. 
  • Speak with the Child Protection Services Manager 
    If you are not satisfied that your concern has been resolved after discussion with the supervisor, you may request a meeting with the Service Manager. The manager will work with you and the staff to resolve your concerns, either by meeting with you personally or by speaking with you on the telephone. The worker and supervisor may also be present at the meeting at your request. If you wish, you may bring someone to support you during this or any future discussion of your concerns.

Formal Resolution Processes

  • Make a Formal Complaint Verbally or in Writing to CCAS 
    If you are not satisfied that your concerns have been resolved at the service level, you can make a formal complaint to CCAS. This can be done verbally or in writing. Your concerns can be directed to the Designated Service Complaints Supervisor. After you make a formal complaint, CCAS will respond to your complaint within seven (7) days. In our response to you, we will advise you whether your complaint can be reviewed by the Internal Complaint Review Panel. Please note CASs and CFSRB review processes cannot consider matters currently before the courts or that the courts have already decided or matters that fall under the Child and Family Services Act or the Labour Relations Act.
  • Internal Complaint Review Panel 
    Under section 119 of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act. 2017 (CYFSA), you have the right to complain to a Society relating to a service you have sought or received from that Society. If your complaint is eligible to be heard by the CCAS Internal Complaint Review Panel, we will arrange a date for a hearing with the Panel. This hearing must be held within 14 days after you have been notified that a Panel will be held, unless you need more time. You may have one support person present at the meeting. The Panel includes senior staff who have not been directly involved with you and your family, and a person who is not employed by CCAS. During the Panel hearing, you will discuss your complaint with the Panel. The goal of the Panel is to try to resolve the complaint with a solution that works for everyone. Within 14 days of meeting with the Panel, you and the Executive Director will receive the Panel’s decision or outcome in writing. If at any point in the complaint review process the complaint is resolved to your satisfaction, CCAS will send you confirmation of the resolution in writing.
  • Child and Family Services Review Board 
    You do not always need to go through the Society’s Internal Complaints Review Panel process before requesting a review by the CFSRB, an independent tribunal of the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services. In most situations, you can file a complaint with the CFSRB directly and follow their steps on how to proceed. You may submit an application to have your complaint heard by the CFSRB under section 119 and 120 of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act. You may also wish to consult the Ministry of Children, Community, and Social Services' brochure: Do you have a complaint about services you have sought or received from an Ontario Children’s Aid Society? and visit the CFSRB website on this process. 
    CFSRB contact information:
    655 Bay Street, 14th Floor, Toronto ON M7A 2A3
    Telephone: 416-327-4673; Toll Free: 1-888-728-8823; TTY: 416-327-9247; Fax: 416-327-0558
    If you have questions about any of the resolution processes at CCAS, please call 416-395-1500 and ask to speak with Designated Service Complaints Supervisor or fill out our complaints form below.
  • Ontario Ombudsman
    As of May 1, 2019, the Ombudsman’s office is responsible for investigating complaints about services provided by children’s aid societies and residential licensees to children and youth. You may complain to the Ombudsman at any time about your concerns.
    For more information and to complain to the Ombudsman, you must fill out the Ombudsman’s form.  
    Ombudsman contact information:
    483 Bay Street, 10th Floor, South Tower, Toronto ON M5G 2C9
    Telephone: 416-586-3300; Toll Free: 1-800-263-1830; TTY: 1-866-411-4211.

Complaints Form

NOTE: It is your right to place a Notice of Disagreement on the CCAS Toronto file and/or records if you feel that the file is incorrect and/or missing important information.
(check all that apply)
(If you selected "Other complaint" above, please specify here)