Adoption Subsidy Information For Adoptive Parents
The Catholic Children’s Aid Society of Toronto provides adoption subsidies to enable adoptive parents to pay for specialized services required to meet a child’s diagnosed special needs.
- To qualify for a subsidy, a child must be on adoption probation or legally adopted, residing in the home and under 18 years of age. An adoption subsidy is based on the unique needs of the child and the adoptive family’s financial ability to meet these needs.
- The community’s ability to meet the child’s need for service is also considered. It is expected that adoptive parents will explore all other possible sources of support available through government, community and/or health insurance plans before requesting an adoption subsidy. An adoption subsidy is not intended to replace government and community programs.
- If the request is to fund therapy or specialized programs, a qualified professional must recommend these. An estimate of the length of service and cost must be submitted to CCAS for approval in advance of the service being purchased.
- If the service is ongoing, written progress reports must be provided, if requested, during the course of treatment.
- A request for an adoption subsidy will be considered only after all the following required application material has been received:
1. Application for Adoption Subsidy
Please complete and return with supporting documents.
2. Financial Information
You will need to attest your financial statment to its accuracy and completeness.
3. Income Verification
Please submit last year’s Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada.
Health Benefits Summary
Please submit a copy of any private health insurance/benefits coverage.
Approval and Reimbursement Process:
- Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis. Once approved, a Society representative and the adoptive parents sign an Adoption Subsidy Agreement. If additional services are later identified, a new application is required.
- The cost of approved therapeutic services will be reimbursed once receipts have been received by CCAS.
Annual Renewal Process:
- Each agreement is time-limited. A re-application is required to renew the subsidy. CCAS is required to review each subsidy on an annual basis or earlier if circumstances change. i.e. a child no longer residing in the home, there is a change in financial circumstances. Financial statements and last year’s Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada must be provided on an annual basis when a subsidy is being paid.
- To apply for a subsidy, please contact your adoption worker
or call Adoption Services at 416-395-1520.